Welcome back to Blackboard News You Can Use, your brief monthly newsletter to help you promote student success through MATC’s web-based learning environment, Blackboard Learn. In this edition, we share a few updates and reminders.
Blackboard Has a New Look
As faculty may remember from our May 2019 communications, MATC’s Blackboard home page and base navigation were updated with a modern, streamlined look. See Understanding the Changes and this video overview to learn more about the new interface. Current courses have not changed, but you are invited to pilot Ultra Courses, a new form of course design; contact email@example.com to join.
To get started with Blackboard, follow these helpful tips.
- Use an updated supported web browser to access Blackboard. Internet Explorer is not supported.
- The Qwickly Course tools have moved to the base navigation’s Tools page.
- To find your courses, review Searching and Editing the Course List. View the Courses page in Card Mode to identify courses by name, ID, and customizable thumbnail image. Enter FA2020 in the keyword search bar to locate your new fall sections.
- Refer to the Beginning of the Semester Checklist to prepare your courses.
- Courses marked as “Private” are unavailable to students. Make courses available to students by the course’s official start date as listed in INFOnline.
Best Practices for Blackboard Use
All faculty are required to upload a current syllabus to each fall section and make sections available to students. See our Best Practices for All Course Sections guide for more tips to support student success.
See our updated Faculty Support Guide for important information about training courses, faculty support liaison contact information, and more. This fall, a new team member is available to support faculty, instructional designer Dr. Mark Benedict; contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructional support and course reviews.
Blackboard Training Courses and Webinars are Available
For in-depth training, faculty complete Professional Development’s free 1-credit Blackboard courses. See the Fall 2019 Blackboard Training Course Schedule for details.
Faculty are invited to view the following free live or recorded webinars provided by Blackboard experts to learn about improving instructional efficiency and effectiveness with Blackboard tools. To register for a webinar, click on the provided links.
- 10 Things You Might Not Know are in Blackboard – Live Session Thursday, August 29th, 2 PM CST
- Blackboard Innovative Teaching Series Webinars: Best Practices to Start the Year – Register to view recordings about your choice of topics: Grade Center management, beginning of the semester tasks, student feedback, or content accessibility.
Friendly Reminder About Printing Services
Did you know that you can send your classroom handouts e.g., syllabi to Print Services? Print requests from instructors can be sent to print services through interoffice mail, dropped off in person Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., placed in the dropbox after hours or sent via email at email@example.com, 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
Print Services is located at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus in Room M141 and provide print services for the Mequon, Oak Creek, West Allis, and Downtown Campuses. Contact Print Services at 414-297-6878.
FIC Equipment Checkout
Did you know that you can check out a laptop or iPad for instructional use for a period of 14 days? For questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To request equipment, complete the FIC Equipment Checkout Request Form. The FIC is located at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus in Room M201.
Published by the Teaching and Learning Technology Department Website: edtechnews.matc.edu Email: email@example.com Do you want to receive MATC email at your personal email? See these instructions.