Welcome back to Blackboard News You Can Use, your brief monthly newsletter to help you promote student success through MATC’s online learning environment, Blackboard Learn. In this edition, we share news about new features and resources to support your teaching practice.
Faculty Training and Support
The faculty liaisons are your first point of contact for Blackboard how-to questions and assistance. See the Faculty Liaison Schedule for their availability to meet online for consultations.
In addition to our training courses, faculty are invited to attend a series of free Remote Instruction Webinars that will be provided by the Blackboard Company throughout the spring term. Additional special topic webinars will be provided by the Online Learning department – see the schedule and webinar links below to join. Additional webinars will be coming soon!
Upcoming Training Courses
Enroll in professional development’s free 1 credit online courses to learn how to use Blackboard tools. See our Spring Training Course Schedule for additional offerings and instructions for registration.
The following tools are available to support remote teaching and learning in Blackboard. If you have questions about using these technologies, please contact email@example.com.
Using Assessments and the Grade Center in Blackboard
Faculty are strongly encouraged to use the assessment tools and grade center in Blackboard to collect student homework digitally and coordinate the delivery of feedback to students. See these resources to learn more about using these tools.
- Using Assessments and the Grade Center – Recorded Webinar
- Creating Assignments |How Students Submit Assignments | Grading Assignments
- Creating Tests | How Students Submit Tests | Reviewing/Grading Test Results
SmarterProctoring is MATC’s new online test proctoring tool for securing Blackboard exams. Faculty can customize an automated proctoring session with options for recording the student, locking down the browser, and verifying student identity through photo-ID. To learn more about using SmarterProctoring to protect high-stakes Blackboard exams, see these resources:
- Recorded Webinar – Available Until 2/14/21
- First Time Faculty Guide to Using SmarterProctoring | Demonstration Video
- Student Guide to Accessing a Test through SmarterProctoring | Demonstration Video
TechSmith Knowmia – For faculty and student use!
Faculty may use TechSmith Knowmia to support instruction and assessment. Students may log into Knowmia to record their own videos to share with you and fellow students and share videos of their own. This can be a great option for authentic assessments, such as speeches and projects. See these resources to learn more:
- Faculty Quick Start Guide to TechSmith Knowmia | Recorded Webinar
- Student Guide to TechSmith Knowmia | Recorded Webinar
Resources to Support Your Move to Online Instruction
- Blackboard Support Guide
- Key Blackboard Resources for Online Teaching
- Quick Start Guide to Open Educational Resources
- Faculty Guide to Using Collaborate Ultra
- Google Meet Training & Support Resources