Welcome back to Blackboard News You Can Use, your brief monthly newsletter to help you promote student success through MATC’s web-based learning environment, Blackboard Learn. In this edition, we share news and reminders about resources to support your teaching practice.
Faculty Training and Support
The faculty liaisons are your first point of contact for Blackboard how-to questions and assistance. See the Faculty Liaison Schedule for their availability to meet online for consultations.
Upcoming Training Courses
Enroll in professional development’s free 1 credit online courses to learn how to use Blackboard tools. See our full schedule for course details and how to register.
In addition to our training courses, faculty are invited to attend a series of free Remote Instruction Webinars that will be provided by the Blackboard Company throughout the fall term.
Additional special topic webinars will be provided by MATC Faculty Support Liaisons this semester. Before you join a session, review the First-Time Guide to Using Collaborate to prepare your technology. On the appointed date and time, click on a provided webinar link and enter your full name to join a session!
Finding Your Fall Sections in Blackboard
To find your fall sections when you are logged into Blackboard’s Courses page, either set the term at the top of the page to “Fall – 2020” or navigate to the “Upcoming Courses” section; see the Guide to Searching the Courses Page for details.
Making Courses Available to Students in Blackboard
Course sections in Blackboard are now assigned calendar start-dates reflective of the start-dates in INFOnline. Faculty may release their courses to students earlier than their scheduled start-dates by following our updated course availability instructions – see page 2.
Getting Started with TechSmith Knowmia – Our New Instructional Video Tool!
Faculty and students may use TechSmith Knowmia to record, caption, and share instructional videos. Knowmia videos include tools for supporting and monitoring student engagement, including analytics, quizzing, and conversations. To learn how to get started with the product, see the linked resources below. Additional training is available through the Knowmia Webinar Series.
- Getting Started with Knowmia at MATC [Recorded Webinar] and Knowmia First Time Faculty Guide
- Student Quick-Start Guide to Recording and Sharing Videos
- Student Quick-Start Guide to Recording and Sharing Mobile Videos
Getting Started with Collaborate Ultra
Faculty may use Collaborate Ultra to meet with students online for synchronous lectures or office hours. Please see these resources to use this tool in your courses.
- Getting Started with Teaching with Collaborate Ultra [Recorded Webinar]
- Faculty QuickStart Guide and Student QuickStart Guide
- Troubleshooting Collaborate Ultra
Resources to Support Your Move to Online Instruction
- Blackboard Support Guide
- Delivering High-Quality Instruction Online in Response to COVID–19: Faculty Playbook
- Planning Modules for Online Learning
- Accessibility Best Practices for Designing Instruction
- Tips for Designing Inclusive Learning Experiences
- Regular Substantive Interaction Guide
- Alternative Course Access Guide
- Live Online Blackboard Orientation
- Student Support Contact Us Form
- Internet Resources for Wisconsin Residents during Public Health Emergency
- MATC Library Website & Get Help Guide
- MATC Online Tutoring Schedule & NetTutor
Published by the Department of Online Learning