Through MATC’s subscription to Films on Demand, instructors can have access to an up-to-date, cross-curricular library of over 6,000 high quality digital videos. Videos can be shown to students by sharing a URL Web address linking to a particular video or by embedding the video directly within a page in your online course.
To get video embedding options that are supported by our Blackboard learning management system, instructors are encouraged to create and customize their very own Films on Demand account using these instructions.
For best results, we recommend using a Firefox Web browser when embedding videos into Blackboard.
Creating and Customizing Your Account
- To access MATC’s subscription to Films on Demand, visit the MATC Library Website. From the “Books and Videos Menu”, click the “Search Films on Demand” link.
- On the Films on Demand Website, click the “Create an Account” link at the top-right corner of the page. Complete the “Create New User” form and click the “Login” button at the bottom page.
- Once you are logged in, click the “User Options” link at the top-right corner of the page. From the pop-up menu that appears, select “My User Preferences”.
- On the “User Preferences” page, go to the “Embed Code” menu and select “Alternate Embed Code”. Click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page when you are done.This will ensure that the embed code that Films on Demand provides you with will be compatible with Blackboard!
Embedding a Films on Demand Video into Your Course
Using the search tools or by browsing the Films on Demand catalog, find and preview a video that you would like to add to your class materials. You can add a video in its own video player directly to a page within your Blackboard course using these instructions.
- When you are previewing the video at Films on Demand, click on the “Embed this Video” link that appears underneath the video player. The “Alternate Embed Code” box will appear underneath the video. Use your mouse to highlight and copy all of the embed code contained in this box.
- Next, log into Blackboard and navigate to a Content Area page within your course. When viewing the Content Area page, roll your mouse over the “Build Content” button and select “Item” from the menu that appears.
- On the “Create Item” page that appears, click the “HTML” button.
- In the HTML pop-up window that appears, paste the embed code you copied from Films on Demand into the text-box. Then, click the “Update” button.
- The pop-up window will disappear and add a video placeholder to the content-editor . Click “Submit” to publish and view the Item.
- The video will be added to the page. It can be played using the video player’s controls.
Please Note: Students accessing Films on Demand content from an off-campus location may initially be prompted by a library log-in form to verify that they are an MATC student. Once the form is completed with full name and student ID, the video will appear.