Tips for Online Success
Instructors help your students plan for online success by incorporating a few of these tips into your course syllabus. Planning for success in any college course can be a difficult process for many students. Providing a few of these tips will get them off to the right start.
Highlight a few of these tips in your course syllabus:
- What is the instructor’s email and office phone number?
- When are the instructor’s office hours? This includes online office hours via synchronous chat.
- When are assignments and activities due?
- How should assignments, activities, and exams be submitted [for grading]?
- What are the course policies on attendance? This includes online discussion [participation]. How often should they check email and the discussion forums [if applicable]?
- How can online resources be accessed? This includes Blackboard [LMS], passwords, logins, and portal.
- Is group work required? If so, how will teams be formed or facilitated?
- Which textbooks are required? Any online resources that go with these books?
- Is specialized software required for the course? If so, how do I access it or download it?
- What technical support is provided for online coursework?
- Will feedback and grades be provided online?
- How many hours should expect to spend online? Daily, weekly, monthly (blended).