Welcome to Online Learning News You Can Use, your brief monthly newsletter to help you promote student success through MATC’s online learning environment, Blackboard Learn. In this edition, we share news and resources to support your teaching practice.
Knowmia Techsmith Video Update
Knowmia Techsmith officially shut down on September 30. The Yuja migration from Knowmia has been completed. The videos you recorded in Knowmia should now be available to you in YuJa. Faculty must create a YuJa account to access their videos; see our Getting Started with YuJa Guide for details. If you are having problems finding your videos, please email email@example.com.
If you created new videos using Knowmia after August 13 or need to download any last minute media from Knowmia, see this Guide to Downloading Knowmia Data for a walk-through of that process. You may manually upload media content to YuJa. For assistance with a YuJa, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-257-2278.
Web-based training is available to guide you; see sessions and links below. Recorded training sessions are available here.
- Tuesday, October 12 at 11 AM – Join Session Here
- Wednesday, October 27 at 1:30 PM – Join Session Here
- Wednesday, November 10 at 11 AM – Join Session Here
Faculty liaisons are your first point of contact for Blackboard how-to questions and instructional support. See the Faculty Liaison Schedule for their availability to meet online for consultations. For high-level troubleshooting/errors, contact email@example.com.
Upcoming Blackboard Training Courses
Need to Meet Level 2 of the 21st Century Classroom? Our free 1-credit Blackboard Training Classes can help! Faculty may enroll in these courses to learn how to use Blackboard tools for teaching and learning online. Register for classes online in Self-Service. See this video for more information. Additional information is available in our schedule.
- ZERD-197-500 Introduction to Blackboard – Virtual: Mon. & Weds. 10/04 -10/13, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- ZERD-198-450 Intermediate Blackboard – Virtual: Thurs. 10/14 – 10/28, 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- ZERD-198-800 Intermediate Blackboard – Online: Sun. 10/10 -10/24 (Flexible online course – 3 Weeks!)
- ZERD-199-800 Advanced Blackboard – Online: Sun. 10/ 31 – 11/14 (Flexible online course – 3 Weeks!)
Upcoming Technology Webinars – Just in Time Training & Tips!
Ask a friendly expert and learn best practices in using new technologies to support learning when attending our special-topic 1 hour webinars. Recordings of select topics are available.
|Session Topic||Day||Time (CST)||Leader/s||Webinar Link – Click to Register or Join|
|YuJa Video Platform Overview||October 7th||12:00 PM||E. Dischler||https://meet.google.com/evi-yzxk-xai?hs=224|
|Open Q&A: Solving Start of Semester Blackboard issues||October 14th||12:00 PM||E. Dischler||https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/51f158fb4db341a69bb36b9efe72e163|
Faculty may also attend a series of free Teaching with Blackboard from Basics to Advanced Webinars provided by the Blackboard company throughout fall term. Register through the provided link to learn how to design assessments, manage the grade center, improve student engagement, and more.
Blackboard Digital Teaching Symposium
Blackboard will host a free online Digital Teaching Symposium on Friday November 5th where faculty can learn best practices and strategies for learning with educational technology. Register here to reserve your seat.
Student Online Blackboard Orientation Schedule
Students whose courses will be delivered in an online format this semester are advised to attend a Student Blackboard Orientation Webinar through Collaborate Ultra. Sessions will be offered throughout August and additional sessions will be planned for the future.
Educational Technology Resources
The following tools are available to support remote teaching and learning in Blackboard. If you have questions about using these technologies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Started with SmarterProctoring
SmarterProctoring is MATC’s online test proctoring tool for securing Blackboard exams. Faculty can customize an automated proctoring session with options for recording the student, locking down the browser, and verifying student identity through photo-ID.To learn more about using SmarterProctoring to protect high-stakes Blackboard exams, see these resources:
- First Time Faculty Guide to Using SmarterProctoring | Demonstration Video
- Student Guide to Accessing a Test through SmarterProctoring | Demonstration Video
Faculty and students who are new to using Chromebooks may find these resources helpful.
- Chromebook Basics Tutorials
- Using a Chromebook to Submit Assignments in Blackboard
- Access Web-based Microsoft Office 365 for Education on a Chromebook with your MATC email account.
- For Students – Want to learn more about using your Chromebook? Attend a Chromebook Chronicle session
- Chromebook Help
Resources to Support Online Instruction
- Blackboard Faculty Support Guide
- Key Blackboard Resources for Online Teaching
- Quick Start Guide to Open Educational Resources
- Get Help Now – Virtual Student Services
- Alternative Course Access Guide
- Internet Resources for Wisconsin Residents during Public Health Emergency
Published by the Department of Online Learning
Do you want to receive MATC email at your personal email? See these instructions.